Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 3

I stopped by Col. Day’s law office and snapped a quick picture of me and Patti, which obviously I had neglected earlier.  Then it was on to Fort Myers.  I drove most of Florida’s northern width, turned south near Tallahassee, then drove most of the state’s length to my destination.  All told: 9 hours in the car in a single state that is not Alaska, Texas or California.  I pulled into the drive at Barb Saunders’ condo at 7 p.m., unloaded most of the car and did little else.

Florida confuses me.  The P-cola/FWB/Destin area is crammed with Navy and Air Force installations, so it has a definite military presence.  Culturally the area is an extension of Alabama and Georgia, so there is some southern charm and a lot of Rebel nostalgia.  As I drove across the northern part of the state, I saw wilderness and well-tended farms.  Tallahassee, the state capitol, from what I saw, looks very clean, proper and friendly.

Once I turned south on I-75, I thought I had ventured into a different state.  Maybe a different world.  Billboards nearly obscured any view of the wilderness, and I suppose those advertisements somehow reflect the citizenry.  Here are a few things the billboards want you to do:

Don’t get an abortion, because God knew your child before he made it in your womb.  Randy fellow, that God!  Next to that: visit Café Risque, where we bare it all!  The café also sells adult toys and DVDs.  We do have our Lion’s Dens throughout Ohio, but I don’t think they have live, bare-all entertainment.

Florida’s #1 hospital!  Next to that: a cleavage-bearing, heavily armed woman telling you to buy your weapons from the Survival Superstore.  No doubt she extols you to do so before Obama pries your guns from your cold, dead fingers.

Florida’s #1 cardiac team!  Next to that: Eat at Whataburger!

Exercise, live and play in our condos!  Next to that: Florida’s #1 divorce attorney!

And usually in a field by himself: Florida’s #1 vasectomy surgeon.  I’ll admit I had a vasectomy, but not from some schlub who advertises on a billboard along I-75.

And finally, my favorite: a large American flag and an eagle.  Superimposed: Congress take note:  VOTE THE LIBERALS OUT!  Signed, We The People!

I was unable to take any shots of the I-75 billboards.  I-10 was a peaceful, pretty drive.  Once I turned south onto I-75 south of Tallahassee, the tension in the car rose about 90 percent because of the insane traffic.  I thought more Rain-Man photography would not have been a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment